1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

Yonko and Their weapons ! Will Luffy's Sword Become His Go-To Weapon in Future?

Discussion in 'One Piece Theories' started by Polybotes, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Polybotes

Weaklings can't pick their way of death.
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I'll keep it simple.

Whitebeard = bisento
    Blackbeard = flintlocks
    Big Mom = Napoleon
    Shanks = sword
    Kaido = kanabo
    Luffy = sword ?

It has been known that the all the Yonkos introduced so far have their go-to weapons with which they can deliver devastating blows (with the exception that BB not being seen using his flintlock, though he carries it everywhere). Since Luffy is being called as the fifth emperor of the sea, it makes us wonder if he can, in future, implement the sword he is seen carrying in Wano arc into his attacks. What do you think? :)

Seiryu and ckimbrew like this.
  2. Edinbour

The Red King
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I doubt it. Remember back in the Arlong Arc, Luffy said he has no idea how to fight with swords (except when he was Nightmare Luffy) so I think he'll always just stick with his fists (since his "punches are as strong as a pistol" ) :P

Dreamer likes this.
  3. Polybotes

Weaklings can't pick their way of death.
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

#3 Polybotes, Nov 5, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    But Just imagine how unpredictable his sword moves will get because of his rubber abilities. Usually, the sword fights have a way of following certain pattern or styles and that gives the opponent a chance to predict and counteract the strikes. But Luffy with his stretched arms can break through these rigid patterns and take the opponent by sheer surprise. Also it is to be noted thar Rayleigh is a sword fighter. And we are still seeing him in the flashback revealing little more than we knew so far of how much he taught Luffy.

4. ckimbrew

Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

#4 ckimbrew, Nov 6, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    I’m with you 100% here... Especially the Rayleigh part...

Rayleigh mentioned that Gear 4th takes too much energy and that making it bigger, King Kong Gun, was even worse. So, what proud sensie would send his student out in the world knowing he was ill equipped to deal with the beasts that he’s challenging? Lol

So far, haki clad swords are superior to haki clad skin... (Zoro v Pica - Cracker v Luffy) We’ve seen haki clad skin atop sword attacks, but never break a haki clad sword. Although, not quite sure how well swords would fare against upgraded armament.

I believe Zoro and Luffy switch swords the Nidai 2 for the one Zoro got from Ryuma since it can be “stepped on by a dragon and not break”... A very strong and very durable sword for for a Pirate King.

Now, the only issue, is that if Rayleigh didn’t teach Luffy basics of swordsmanship, then it looks like maybe Shutenmaru would do it... That doesn’t sit well with me bc Zoro is the Vice Captain and has trained under “the worlds greatest swordsman”. Then again, Maybe that’s why Zoro is away...

So, how would this help Luffy defeat Kaido? Similar to the way I envision Shanks fighting. Advanced observation haki to dodge and counter strike with a haki clad sword. Like a Bullfighter, if you will. For this style, you’re not needed to be an expert with the sword, just needing to understand how to land and maybe block a blow.

If Kaido is the worlds strongest creature, only intelligence, agility, and technique will defeat him. Maybe not defeat him, but make him give up bc he realizes that he can’t defeat you... Like an annoying little fly... Kaido definitely has anger/emotional issues. Luffy deploying a surefire strategy like this seems like it would definitely be enough to make Kaido lose it. Taking away the opponents strength... that’s a strategy. But, will Luffy grow enough to realize this and be able to deploy this strategy? He’s kind of a hothead himself, but this defeat needs to be an enlightening moment for sure!

Polybotes likes this.
  5. Kia

Kia
    Wickedly Wanton Way with Words
    Busoshoku Haki Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

I’ve pretty much expressed my views on why I don’t believe Luffy will use the sword in another thread. It boils down to his faith in his nakama, the specifics of his time with Rayleigh and his previous fighting experience.

https://opforum.net/posts/922411/

https://opforum.net/posts/922426/

I’d add that even if the thoughts expressed in the previous posts weren’t valid, it would be an insult to Zoro to suddenly take up the sword. I believe it would also be inconsistent with his fighting style thus far. The theory is an interesting read and I appreciate you taking the time to share it. It’s got nice evidence but the very essence of Luffy is his difference from every other pirate/power, not his similarities. Or that’s what I’ve found to be true. He breaks the rules of both society and piracy, leaving chaos in his wake. He builds people up instead of tearing them down (though he tears down those who are tearing down others). He’s a study in contradictions. It’s hard to explain but evident all the same. I’m sorry; that’s sort of tangential to the point which is that trying to define him by the standards set by the other pirates could be antithetical to your goal.

Seiryu, Chill024, Juggy and 1 other person like this.
  6. Juggy

Expand Collapse

Like @Kia said, it would pretty much insult Zoro, who is dreaming about being the GOAT swordsman. Also Luffy's body is weapon. The versatility of his moves is genius and potential for further development is even greater. Adding sword would be too much.

Chill024 likes this.
  7. Pacquiao8

8th Commander of the Straw Hat Grand Fleet
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I doubt that Luffy will have a permanent weapon with him. Should he have one, a staff would be good since he knows how to use one.

Yamanoki and Dreamer like this.
  8. Kia

Kia
    Expand Collapse

I agree. This is one of the points that I made in the linked posts. ^_^ Being me, I was wordier about it, of course.

Pacquiao8 likes this.
  9. ckimbrew

Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

As much as I hate the idea of him using a weapon, it only makes sense...

All of the other Yonkou are more powerful than Luffy.

So, let’s say he undergoes some awesome training and becomes equally powerful.

He’d still be at a disadvantage... Why? Bc they all use weapons that they can clad in Haki. And, as we’ve seen, haki weapons are superior to haki skin. (So far)

A staff would be cool, but in the end, it’s another blunt object... And, I think a blade is needed to penetrate Kaido or BM’s skin!!

And, what about Blackbeard?? Awakening is still a DF power. So, even if Luffy gets it, it would be useless against Blackbeard. Which is why White Beard had a weapon as well.

White beard and Kaido. The strongest human and the strongest creatures to ever walk the planet. Both have OP DF’s yet they both use weapons...

I don’t think a sword would be a slight against Zoro at all. Bc of future sight, reflexes and agility, Luffy wouldn’t need to be a master, just component with one.

10. Kia

Kia
    Expand Collapse

It doesn’t have to be a staff. A pole arm is a broad category that includes staffs, bisentos, halberds, tridents, his pipe and many other weapons. So he has edged options within the category that matches his training. It’s just that a regular sword of the type he’s been carrying around isn’t one of them.

http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Polearm

Edit: I forgot something: You make a good point about the Haki clad weapons so far but that could be the level of the Haki users or the Haki itself. If it’s not and if he does need a weapon, then my statements above apply. ^_^

I just jumped right into the staff thing without preamble thinking I’d already said this part.

ckimbrew likes this.
  11. ckimbrew

Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

With all of the similarities to the Chinese legend, Monkey King, and Son Goku, both using poles, I can definitely see it happening.

Then, he’d be one step closer to mirroring Katakuri. Lol

But, unless he’d be able to store the pole like Katakuri stores his trident, it could be a problem. A workaround, would be if Ussop could make a retractable one like Nami’s New climatact that also had a blade at the end.

This would give him the extendable pole to match the Monkey King’s and Goku’s extending pole, a blade, and a compact size.

Thoughts?

Judgement likes this.
  12. Kia

Kia
    Expand Collapse

Well if you say it like that, he can figure out a Gear that will somehow fuse himself with the sword and form a pole arm (literally using his arm) so that he is the retractable part with the bladed edge and an advanced armament Haki that surpasses the previous ones like adding the vulcanization of rubber or something to it as has been suggested previously.

Just saying. Anything’s possible and it would make everyone right. I know, it’s far out there but we’re speculating and that popped into my head as a result of what you brought up. ^_^

13. Dreamer

Wandering Wondering Mind
    Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

I think that if Luffy will ever get a weapon, it would be a staff because he used a pipe as a weapon when he was child.

14. Judgement

Onii-chan of OPF
    Haoshoku Haki Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Although I like the idea of Luffy using some kind of pole/staff as a weapon, I think he should just be martial arts only. The guy is a living weapon himself and the variety of his attacks could be near endless as is. He does not need a weapon, does not want to use a sword better than Zoro and probably is too energetic and bouncy to keep one anyway.

Dreamer and Kia like this.
  15. Storm chaser

Rock n' Roll
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I also dont think Luffy will have a sword as a main weapon. He might use the one he is carrying right now, but it isint permanent.

He has also stated, that he dosent know how to use a sword. That is why he is relying upon his mates who can use one, to fight with swords.

16. Judgement

Onii-chan of OPF
    Expand Collapse

Exactly this; Luffy himself thinks fighting with weapons doesn't work for him.

Storm chaser and Dreamer like this.
  17. Kia

Kia
    Expand Collapse

#17 Kia, Nov 8, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    More specifically that he doesn’t need to know how to use a sword and has full confidence in his nakama for their skills and what they can do. In essence, that rules out a regular staff as well since Nami has the climatact.
    upload_2018-11-8_4-9-57.jpeg

Storm chaser and Judgement like this.
  18. Judgement

Onii-chan of OPF
    Expand Collapse

Great example from the manga!! I love that scene. ^^

19. Kia

Kia
    Expand Collapse

Haha thanks I realized that no one seems to have read my linked posts (I didn’t want to reinvent the wheel), so I pulled it up again. ^_^

That scene was fantastic and very much why I believe that his nakama are among his strongest weapons, in a very real sense.

20. ignisC4t

Expand Collapse

maybe hand gloves everyone, remember luffy with mr.3 candles ? fight magellan ?

- he's crying his dream fullfilled
    *robot intesifies